Vineyard, fog, castles…and unforgettable wines. Piedmont is the land where nobility, agriculture, and great winemaking always lived together.
Since 1337, the Alfieri family‘s archives talk about “vineati a philari” (vineyards planted in rows): nowadays, the estate’s beautiful “sorì”, (sunny slopes in Piemontese dialect), planted with 70-year-old vines, are still producing grapes of the highest quality. A total of 21 hectares is planted with vines, of which 16 hectares are Barbera with and the rest divided between Pinot Nero, Grignolino and Nebbiolo.
The Alfieri family run the estate since 1616. Lords of San Martino, they have linked their names to the history of Piedmont and Italy, being related to Camillo Benso di Cavour, who improved the wine-growing in Piedmont and introduced the Pinot Noir grape to San Martino. In 1982, the Marquis Casimiro San Martino di San Germano, the Alfieri family cousin, receives the property relaunching wine production. Today, his three daughters Emanuela, Antonella, and Giovanna run the estate, with Mario Olivero as head winemaker and director since 1999.
The elegance of these 3 ladies reflects in the style of the wines and in the impeccable way they welcome guests from all over the world. At the foot of the castle, a carefully restored little eighteenth-century village houses an “Albergo Diffuso” with rooms scattered in different buildings of the property.
Here the Marchesi Alfieri’s Selection in our portfolio,
available in New York and New Jersey: